That’s a valid question that as a Loudon, TN roofer we’ve heard many times. Once your roof is no longer new, let’s call that more than ten years old, the signs of aging and storm damage can look similar. Below we’ve listed several signs of storm damage and several signs of an aging roof, which may help you decide what your issue is. However, your best bet is always to call an experienced roofing company in Loudon, TN.
Signs of an Aging Roof
Your roof ages with time. Things like UV exposure, amount of rain and snow, freeze-thaw cycles and your attention to roof maintenance all age roofing at different rates. The type of shingle, manufacturer and even the installation can also impact how fast a roof ages. That’s why one person’s roof that’s 15 years old needs replacing and someone else has a 20-year-old roof that’s still fine. Here are some common signs of an aging roof:
- Granules in the gutters and downspouts
- Curled shingles on a significant percentage of the roof’s surface
- Cracked shingles throughout the roof’s surface
- Missing or misaligned shingles
- Moss growing on your roof
Of course, a bad looking roof is one that likely needs replacing as well. If you notice any of these issues, you should call your Loudon, TN roofer.
Signs of Storm Damage
One sign you may have storm damage is if other people in your neighborhood are replacing their roof simultaneously. That usually indicates that at storm did damage. However, that’s not always a sign. You may be the first to wonder if the latest storm took its toll on your roof. A few signs of storm damage include:
- Bent shingles on one side of the roof – this stems from prolonged strong winds that blew the shingles up and bent them.
- The sudden appearance of dots or divots on your roof’s surface – large hail damage is often visible to the naked eye, however, not always.
- Misaligned and missing shingles, especially on one side of your roof – both of which are signs of wind damage.
If you notice any of these signs, call your insurance company and start a storm damage insurance claim.
Mobley Brothers Roofing & Renovation is your Loudon, TN Roofer
We can help you whether you have storm damage or an aging roof. We accept all insurance claims and will help you through the process. Call our A+ rated team today at (865) 248-2772 or fill out our contact form.